New plans for all-Ireland minimum alcohol price
At the
first formal North/South conference on alcohol misuse a new plan to fight
alcohol misuse was formed. They want to higher the minimum price of alcohol. If
this plan will be put into practice, a minimum price of 45 to 50 pence is asked
per unit of alcohol. As stated in the article, this will mean that a bottle of
cider with 14 units of alcohol, which currently costs 2.30 pounds, would be
increased to 7 pounds. Alcohol misuse is a huge problem in Ireland. Health
authorities hope for a decrease in alcohol misuse.
It might be
easy to say that I find this a good idea, since I do not drink alcohol that
often. But I think this is a great way to decrease alcohol misuse since people
have to watch their spending on alcohol. This plan makes it less attractive for
young adults to drink alcohol. We should have this in The Netherlands as well. It
might be a huge change in daily life but I am sure that people will get used to
it. Alcohol prices in Sweden are also a lot higher than in Ireland. You do not
hear complains about it either.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten